Written as a novel in verse, this beautifully crafted story tells of how 10-year old Ha and her family are forced to flee Vietnam after the fall of Saigon in 1975. Traveling by boat, then through two refugee camps, Ha and her family end up living in Alabama. Based on the author's personal memories, readers experience Ha's struggle to learn a new language, fit into a new and very different culture, and leave the memories of her homeland and start anew. This is a great book for understanding the struggle to fit into a new culture. Recommended for grades 4-8.
- Teacher Selection: Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
- Juvenile Selection: The Jolley-Rogers and the Ghostly Galleon
- I am a story
- Share a Story: Lucy
- Teen Recommendations: The Other Side of the Wall
- Teen Recommendation: Roller Girls: Falling Hard
- Teen Recommendation: Wild Girls
- Juvenile Selection: Logan Price Makes a Mess
- Teacher Recommendation: Where Do President's Come From?
- Juvenile Selection: Compass South