The US Winter Outlook predicted that our region will have wetter and colder conditions than normal this season, which is a good reminder to be prepared for the extreme weather conditions that can occur in Ohio. Be sure your family is safe, warm, and entertained for the rest of the winter season.
Weather and Winter Safety
Weather.gov - For detailed and accurate information about winter weather in your zip code, or anywhere in the country, the National Weather Service has you covered.
Winter Safety - Winter is more than the idyllic snow-covered landscapes. Blizzards, ice storms and freezing temperatures can be very dangerous if you’re not prepared. Stay safe by following advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
School Closings – Check the following news outlets for school and business closings due to inclement weather. Some even provide the option for you to receive a text should your child’s school make the list.
Protect Your Pet During Winter – Keep your pets, and other animals, safe and warm with these helpful hints from the Humane Society of The United States.
Seasonal Flu – Another hazard of winter, the worst of the flu happens in January and February. Find out how to stay well, and see how people are faring the rest of the United States.
Library Resources for Winter
Make sure you’re stocked up with library books, magazines, movies, and more, in case your family is stuck inside. Be sure to check out the different department pages on our website to see what's new and get recommendations from the experts.
Forgot to stock up? If the weather is too bad, or the library is closed, get out your library card, and check out our digital services for free access to eBooks, movies, music and magazines!
- Hoopla – Watch movies and TV shows or listen to music and audiobooks with this awesome streaming service available to UA Library card holders. You can even read comic books!
- Digital Downloads – Check out e-books and audiobooks you can experience on a wide range of devices.
- Zinio – Check out current and back issues of some of the most popular magazines to read on your computer or mobile device.
- Listen Columbus - If you're stuck inside, take the time to discover local music with this streaming service created by the UA Library!
Want to be more productive this winter? Whether it's for homework, winterizing your home or car, or researching the purchase of a snow blower, shovel, or ice melt, the following UA Library Resources may prove invaluable this winter.
- UAHS Student Portal page – Students, get your homework done even when you can’t make it to the library. Follow the link for resources perfect for when you need to do research to complete assignments, projects and papers.
- Consumer Reports - Get reviews, ratings, and buying guides to find out the best snow removal products for you.
- Home Improvement Reference Center - Searching the keyword “winterize” in this database will result in information about getting pipes, windows, pool, hot tub and more ready for the season. It's not too late to learn for next year!
- Chilton Auto Repair Manuals - If you do the work on your car, get instructions specific to your make and model.