Long days, warm weather and sunshine! Summer is here! Here are some ideas of ways to enjoy the season.
Food and Fun
Get out the grill and enjoy fresh summery food! Check out current issues of cooking magazines to get inspired. Here are some titles UAPL subscribes to:
- Bon Appetit
- Cooking Light
- Cook's Illustrated
- Cuisine at Home
- Every Day with Rachel Ray
- Vegetarian Times
Also, if you are in the market for a new grill, be sure to research your options before making a decision! Along with our many other valuable subscriptions, UAPL offers its patrons full access to ConsumerReports.org. You will need your library card number and pin to access it, but once you're in, do a search to find buying advice and top-rated gas and charcoal grills.
Cool off on a hot day with everyone's favorite summer pastime.
- Upper Arlington is home to three very popular pools, including one with a water park! Click here to find out where the pools are and how your family can get access to them.
- Swim Safely - The CDC offers informative fact sheets on how to stay safe in the water.
- Pool Safety - Own your own pool or hot tub? Make sure it's safe for everyone!
- Beach Safety - With wind, currents and waves, swimming at the beach is much different than in a pool. Follow the link with tips on how to stay safe and have fun!
Summer Fun in the City
Other things happening all summer around Columbus include:
- International Exhibiton of Sherlock Holmes - Time-travel to 19th century London to solve a mystery at COSI.
- Columbus Clippers Baseball - Take the family to home game at Huntington Park in the Arena District.
- Blooms and Butterflies - The popular exhibition of beautiful and exotic butterflies at the Franklin Park Conservatory is in its twentieth year.
- The Columbus Dispatch's Summer Fun Guide is entirely devoted to helping you find great things to do all summer.
Summer reading isn't just for kids! Whether you like beach reads, classics, non-fiction or whatever, here are some sources to augment your reading experiences!
- NoveList (Note: Requires library card number and PIN to access) - One of UAPL's database subscriptions, this source is great for finding your next favorite book based on authors, genres, series and other components you enjoy.
- NPR Books - The only thing better than reading a great book is reading ABOUT great books. NPR reviews current books covering every genre.
- UAPL's Adult Services GoodReads Page - Want to know what your favorite librarians and staff members are reading? Now you don't have to wonder anymore!
Also, don't forget to sign up for Adult Summer Reading Club! Click here and scroll down for details!