We are looking forward to all of the benefits of joining the CLC (Central Library Consortium) in a few weeks, and I know you will be as well! What will this mean for teachers? Check it out:
- Much improved catalog! Many of our teachers have raised concerns over the years regarding our current catalog's lack of functionality when searching for materials. The catalog you will be using beginning in April will deserve an “A+”! Improved functions include automatic search suggestions, Novelist integration for item searches (Novelist provides Lexile scores for most print materials), and a more intuitive interface. You will be able to keep track of your search and borrowing history, and be notified when items of interest are added to the catalog.
- Access to more than 4 million items! Many of our teachers are looking for multiple copies of one title in order to share amongst many students. While we do have many duplicates of more popular items here at UAPL, such as Newbery winners, you will have access to many more duplicate items once we join CLC in April. Also, since you will have access to items carried at other CLC libraries, you will be able to reserve must-have items that we don't carry here at UAPL.
Important things teachers need to know:
- During our transition to CLC we will not be able to put together any Teacher Collections. We apologize for this inconvenience. We recommend that you prepare any unit needs now and request your Teacher Collections for completion before April 3rd. Teacher Collections cannot be completed between April 4th and April 9th. This means that Teacher Collections cannot be requested between 3/28 and April 10th, since they require 5 days to compile.
- Access to our catalog will be unavailable from 9 pm on April 3rd until 10 am on April 9th, so be sure to request items ahead of time to ensure you have what you need.
- We will be open during this transition time, so if you find that you need items while the catalog is unavailable, we encourage you to come on in and our staff will help you find items to satisfy your unit needs.
- One last but very important thing, you must bring your physical Teacher card in during these days if you want to check out any items. Be sure to come in before this time to replace any lost cards.