The Affordable Care Act ( ACA), also known as Obamacare, became law in 2010, and changes in health care in the United States have been happening every year since then. Click here to see a timeline from U.S Department of Health and Human Services for more information on what has already happened, and changes coming up in the future. The law will be fully implemented January 1, 2014.
This year marks the first Open Enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace, which starts on October 1, 2013, where individuals and small businesses will be able to shop for subsidized health insurance coverage.
The following resources are provided to help you understand what Health Care Reform means to you, so you can make the best decisions about your health insurance needs.
Health Care in Ohio
- Ohio has chosen to use the federal exchange for health insurance; get started in the Marketplace by going to HealthCare.gov or calling the toll-free number 1-800-318-2596.
- Click here to learn how to get ready to enroll in the Marketplace.
- Ohio Department of Insurance answers frequently asked questions about Federal Health Care Reform.
- For further assistance with enrolling in the Marketplace, contact The Ohio Association of Foodbanks' Healthcare Navigator program toll free at 1-800-648-1176, or visit their official website, www.ohioforhealth.org.
- AARP Fact Sheets - These downloadable fact sheets from AARP's Department of Education and Outreach help explain to specific populations what the law means to them.
- Health Law Helper from Consumer Reports - This easy-to-use, interactive site asks a few simple, non-identifying questions, in order to let you know what you need to do and the options you have to comply with the new law.
- Kaiser Family Foundation Information on Health Reform - Through facts and analysis, this non-partisan group provides information to the American people to help them understand ACA, and includes more detailed information about where each State stands, as well as a health insurance subsidy calculator.
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Read the entire text of the law.