The Fall 2015 Program Guide is out. Available for download right here or for pickup at your library.
Healthy UA - Physical Wellness
All Available Subject Guides
Physical wellness focuses on incorporating exercise, fitness routines and appropriate health care into your daily life. This guide will help you find resources on a variety of topics related to physical wellness including common health concerns, first aid procedures, physical fitness and avoiding the use of tobacco or illicit drugs.
The following are part of the Upper Arlington Public Library's premium resources. Unless you are in one of our library locations, you will need your library card number and PIN in order to access them. Please note: Links to our databases open in a new window or tab in your browser.
Alt Health Watch
Provides access to many perspectives on complementary, holistic, and integrated approaches to healthcare and wellness, including peer-reviewed articles.
Consumer Health Complete
Provides health information to consumers, including topics such as aging, cancer, diabetes, fitness, nutrition, drug information, and more.
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
Covers nursing and allied health, with medication information written for consumers.
Provides authoritative information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health care, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. MEDLINE is a creation of the National Library of Medicine.
Gale Virtual Reference Library: eBooks on Physical Wellness
Includes full online access to the following titles (click on the titles to access):
- Comparative Guide to American Hospitals
- Gale Encyclopedia of Children’s Health
- Gale Encyclopedia of Fitness
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Surgery and Medical Tests
These materials are available for use in the Reference Department of the Main Library. Click on the links for more location information.
- American Medical Association Family Medical Guide
- American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care
- Classical Ballet Terms an Illustrated Dictionary
- The Encyclopedia of Dental and Oral Health
- Johns Hopkins Symptoms and Remedies the Complete Home Medical Reference
- Mayo Clinic Family Health Book
- Older Adults Your Aging and Disability Resource Network
- Social Dancing in America a History and Reference
- The Sports Rules Book
- Sports Rules Encyclopedia
Some current issues of the following magazine and journal titles related to physical wellness are available for checking out, while in some cases older issues may be accessed at the Main Library's Reference Department. Follow the links to the catalog or see a librarian for more information:
- Arthritis Today
- Diabetes Forecast
- Men's Health
- Natural Health
- Weight Watchers
These recommended websites are chosen as reliable sources for information related to Physical Wellness.
- Super Tracker
- Eat Healthy from Let's Move
- Be Tobacco Free
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Council on Alchohol and Drug Dependence
- Mayo Clinic - First Aid
Local Resources (Gyms and Fitness Centers)
- Snap Fitness
- Core Fitness Studio
- Fitness Together
- FTW Crossfit
- Marjorie Jones Schools Inc.
- Columbus Fitness Consultants
- The Bodywell
- Barre 3 Exercise Studio
- Trek Bicycle Store
- Roll Bike Shop
- beYoga and Wellness
- Go Yoga
- Therapeutic Massage Center at Kingsdale
- Arlington Acupuncture
Local Resources (Safety)
- RunKeeper iOS | Android
- Calorie Counter iOS | Android
- WebMD iOS | Android
- Map my Run iOS | Android
- SleepBot iOS | Android
- Instant Heart Rate iOS | Android
- The Red Cross First Aid iOS | Android
- Walter H. Ettinger, Brenda S. Wright and Steven N. Blair
- Bob Glover, Jack Shepherd and Shelly-Lynn Florence Glover
- Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz
- Charles Herrick, Charlotte Herrick and Marianne Mitchell
- Boston Women's Health Book Collective
- Alton Thygerson, Steven M. Thygerson, Benjamin Gulli and Gina Piazza
- Matt Roberts