The Summer 2015 Program Guide is out. Available for download right here or for pickup at your library.
Affordable Care Act (Obamacare)
All Available Subject Guides
In 2009, Congress passed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), and it became law in 2010. Major changes in health care in the United States have been happening ever since.
It is a complex piece of legislation. There have been many questions and controversy surrounding it. The librarians in the Reference Department of the Upper Arlington Public Library have compiled the following resources to clarify the law and help you find answers to practical questions. You will also find representative points of view for all sides of the health care debate.
Ohio has chosen to use the federal exchange for health insurance. To enroll in the Marketplace or learn more about it, go to HealthCare.gov or call their toll-free number, 1-800-318-2596.
Making the correct healthcare choices requires an understanding of each person’s or family’s unique health and financial circumstances. Members of the Upper Arlington Public Library staff are not trained or licensed to provide advice or to assist you in selecting a specific health plan, but can provide information and direction to public resources about the Affordable Care Act that will help you make your own choices.
Search “Affordable Care Act” or related terms in each of these databases for relevant results. Unless you are in one of our library locations, you will need your library card number and PIN in order to access them. Please note: Links to our databases open in a new window or tab in your browser.
Columbus Dispatch Archives - Find local news articles and editorials on this topic by searching the Columbus, Ohio newspaper, through Newsbank.
Consumer Health Complete - Read full-text results from consumer health publications by searching this resource.
Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context - Get contrasting viewpoints on the law through magazine articles, encyclopedia entries, images, editorials and more.
FoF World News Digest - Contains news articles, opinion pieces and editorial cartoons from as they were reported on this topic since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, taken from major newspapers around the world.
Find these materials in the Reference Department of the Tremont Library.
Law Text and Information
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 - Full text of the law and Joint Committe on Taxation Technical Explanation
- Tax Legislation 2010: Patient Protection and Affordable Care; Health Care Reconciliation; HIRE and Other Recent Tax Acts: Law, Explanation and Analysis
Because of the sweeping changes and the controversial nature of the Affordable Care Act, it is written about often in news and general editorial publications. You will often find articles about it in current issues of magazine titles carried by UAPL, like the ones below. Some issues of these titles are available for checking out. Click the links for location and other holdings information.
Find fact sheets, brochures and other handouts about the Health Insurance Marketplace in the Reference Department located near the room entrance.
- Health Care Marketplace
- AARP Fact Sheets - These downloadable fact sheets from AARP's Department of Education and Outreach help explain to specific populations what the law means to them.
- Department of Health and Human Services Healthcare section
- Health Law Helper from Consumer Reports - This easy-to-use, interactive site asks a few simple, non-identifying questions, in order to let you know what you need to do and the options you have to comply with the law.
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Health Reform - Through facts and analysis, this non-partisan group provides information to the American people to help them understand ACA, and includes more detailed information about where each State stands, as well as a health insurance subsidy calculator.
- Medicaid.gov Affordable Care Act information
- Ohio Department of Insurance on Federal Health Care
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act - Read the entire text of the law online.
- Ohio for Health.org - The Ohio Association of Foodbanks' Healthcare Navigator program offers free assistance with enrolling in the marketplace. Click the link or call 1-800-648-1176 for more information.
- Find Local Help - Enter a zip code to find local organizations that can help answer questions.
- Helping Ohioans with Healthcare Benefit Choices (The Ohio Assocation of Health Underwriters) - This site is designed to help businesses or individuals find agents and brokers that may be of assistance in making healthcare choices.
- Paul Starr
- Jonathan Gruber
- Rosemary Gibson
- Richard Kirsch
- Roberta E. Winter
- John E. McDonough
- Staff of the Washington Post
- Thomas Daschle
- Roger Battistella