Register by Wednesday, December 2nd; submit your entry on Friday, December 4th.
Judging by a celebrity panel on Saturday, December 5th
Gather your sweet-loving troops and show off your architectural skills in our fourth annual Gingerbread Building Competition!
You may choose to build a traditional house, or get creative with another design.
There is also a competition for just for children ages 9-12. A program will be held on December 2 at the Main Library where kids will make a house out of LEGO blocks. Other special awards will also be given based on the unique attributes of gingerbread entries.
Celebrity judges will use pre-determined criteria to rate the creations and the top scorers in both the gingerbread and LEGO divisions will win prizes donated by the Friends of the UAPL.
Entering A Gingerbread Creation
- Each entry must be pre-registered using a paper form or online. Be sure to give your creation a name. Deadline for pre-registration forms is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, December 2. Submit your paper form to any UAPL circulation desk, or use our online form.
- Limit of one entry per person or family per division.
- Participants must provide all building materials, including a sturdy base. The base may be no bigger than 18 x 18 inches. All items used in the creation must be edible, with the exception of the base or platform that the entry sits upon. A plywood base would be ideal.
- Bring your creation to the Main Library’s circulation desk on Friday, December 4 between 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Include a removable note (taped or a PostIt) with your name, phone number, and the name of your entry. This is important so we can match it up to your pre-registration form.
No-Bake Gingerbread houses for Kids ► Request
The LEGO ideas book: unlock your imagination ► Request
Tinkerlab: a hands-on guide for little inventors ► Request
Entering A LEGO House
- To enter, children ages 9-12 must attend the Main Library's “LEGO Gingerbread House Competition” program on Wednesday, December 2 at 6:30 p.m.
- Program registration is required and opens at 10 a.m. on November 18.
- A separate pre-registration form is not required.
- At the program, make a house using our collection of LEGO blocks.
- We'll keep the houses at the library, then display them at Holiday Happiness on December 5 for judging.
- Children will not be able to keep their LEGO creations.
Divisions and Prizes
|Gingerbread Creation||LEGO House (Ages 9-12)|
|Best of Show receives a $30 gift card to Huffman's Market||Best LEGO house wins a $10 gift card to Graeter’s|
|Special awards of $10 gift cards to Graeter’s will be given to creations with unique attributes|
Judging Process and Criteria
Judging will take place on Saturday, December 5 during our annual Holiday Happiness event, with winning entries announced at or around 2 p.m. A panel of three celebrity judges will score entries based on preset criteria. This year's celebrity judges are Jeni Britton Bauer of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, DJ Mark Dantzer, and UA Library Mascot Browser Bear.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1-10 on originality/creativity; difficulty; precision; and overall appearance. The entry with the highest combined score will be named Best of Show. Other prizes will be awarded based on the unique attributes of entries, such as Most Original and Best Representation of a Book. LEGO creations will only be judged against each other, not against gingerbread creations. Prizes will be awarded thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the UAPL.
In the event of a tie, the gift card winner will be chosen at random from the tied entries, but each winner will be recognized with a blue ribbon for 1st place.
Display and Pick Up
All entries will be on display at the UA Main Library during normal operating hours on December 5 & 6. Please pick up your entry from Meeting Room A by 8:30 p.m. on Monday, December 7.
For more information, contact Marketing and Community Relations Manager Christine Minx at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 486-9621 ext. 250.
Registration closes at 5:00pm on Wednesday, December 2nd.