Register by Wednesday, December 3rd; submit your entry on Friday, December 5th.
Judging by a celebrity panel on Saturday, December 6th
Gather your sweet-loving troops and show off your architectural skills in our third annual Gingerbread Building Competition!
The competition consists of two divisions: “house/building” and “other.” You may choose to build a traditional house, or get creative with our “other” division.
There is also a competition for just for children ages 9-12. A program will be held on December 3 at the Main Library where kids will make a house out of cardboard, paper and other materials.
Celebrity judges will use pre-determined criteria to rate the creations and the top two scorers in each division will win prizes donated by the Friends of the UAPL.
Entering A Gingerbread Creation
- Each entry must be pre-registered using a paper form or online. Choose the “house” or “other” division. Be sure to give your creation a name. Deadline for pre-registration forms is 5 p.m. on Wednesday, December 3. Submit your paper form to any UAPL circulation desk, or use our online form.
- Limit of one entry per person or family per division.
- Participants must provide all building materials, including a sturdy base. The base may be no bigger than 18 x 18 inches. All items used in the creation must be edible, with the exception of the base or platform that the entry sits upon. A plywood base would be ideal.
- Bring your creation to the Main Library’s circulation desk on Friday, December 5 between 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Include a removable note (taped or a PostIt) with your name, phone number, and the name of your entry. This is important so we can match it up to your pre-registration form.
No-Bake Gingerbread houses for Kids ► Request
Making great gingerbread houses: delicious designs from cabins to castles, from lighthouses to tree houses ► Request
Tinkerlab: a hands-on guide for little inventors ► Request
Entering A Paper House
- To enter, children ages 9-12 must attend the Main Library's “Gingerbread House Competition” program on Wednesday, December 3 at 6:30 p.m.
- Program registration is required and opens at 10 a.m. on November 19.
- A separate pre-registration form is not required.
- At the program, make a house using a variety of materials. All supplies will be provided.
- We'll keep the houses at the library, then display them at Holiday Happiness on December 6th for judging.
Divisions and Prizes
|House||Other||Paper House (Ages 9-12)|
|1st place receives a $50 gift card to Huffman's Market||1st place receives a $50 gift card to Huffman's Market||1st place wins $20 gift card to Orange Leaf Yogurt|
|2nd place receives a $25 gift card to The Goodie Shop||2nd place receives a $25 gift card to The Goodie Shop||2nd place wins $10 gift card to Orange Leaf Yogurt|
Judging Process and Criteria
Judging will be done on Saturday, December 6 during our annual Holiday Happiness event, with winning entries announced at or around 2 p.m. Our panel of celebrity judges will score entries based on preset criteria. Our judges include Ben Gelber, meteorologist at WCMH- TV; Jeni Britton Bauer, founder of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams; and Marilyn Smith, 89.7 NPR News Afternoon Host.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1-10 on originality/creativity; difficulty; precision; and overall appearance. The entry with the highest combined score will receive 1st prize. The next highest score will receive 2nd prize. There will be winners for each division, as well as the paper house contest for kids ages 9-12. A total of 6 prizes will be awarded thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the UAPL.
In the event of a tie, the gift card winner will be chosen at random from the tied entries, but each winner will be recognized with a blue ribbon for 1st and a red ribbon for 2nd.
Display and Pick Up
All entries will be on display at the UA Main Library during normal operating hours on December 6 & 7. Please pick up your entry from Meeting Room A by 8:30 p.m. on Monday, December 8.
For more information, contact Marketing and Community Relations Manager Christine Minx at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 486-9621 ext. 250.
Registration closes at 5:00pm on Wednesday, December 3rd.