Register by Dec. 3; submit your entry on Dec. 6
Judging by a celebrity panel on Dec. 7
Gather your sweet-loving troops and show off your architectural skills in our second annual Gingerbread Building Competition!
The competition consists of two divisions with two age categories in each. You may choose to build a house, or get creative with our “other” division. Age categories include “family” or “adult”.
There is also a graham cracker house competition for children ages 9-12 to be held on Dec. 4 at the Main Library. Celebrity judges will use pre-determined criteria to rate the creations and the top two scorers in each division and age category will win prizes donated by the Friends of the UAPL.
Entering A Gingerbread Creation
- Each entry must be pre-registered using a paper form or online. Choose the “house” or “other” division, and let us know whether you're working as a family or as an adult. Be sure to give your creation a name. Deadline for pre-registration forms is 5 p.m. on December 3. Submit your paper form to any UAPL circulation desk.
- Limit of one entry per person or family per division.
- Participants must provide all building materials, including a sturdy base. The base may be no bigger than 18 x 18 inches. All items used in the creation must be edible, with the exception of the base or platform that the entry sits upon. A plywood base would be ideal.
- Bring your creation to the Main Library's circulation desk on Friday, December 6 between 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Include a removable note (taped or a PostIt) with your name, phone number, and the name of your entry. This is important so we can match it up to your pre-registration form.
Gingerbread houses : a complete guide to baking, building, and decorating ► Request
The gingerbread book : 54 cookie-construction projects for party centerpieces and holiday decorations, 117 full-sized patterns, plans for 18 structures, over 100 color photos, recipes, cookie shapes, children's projects, history, and step-by-step how-to's ► Request
The gingerbread architect : recipes and blueprints for twelve classic American homes ► Request
Entering A Graham Cracker House
- To enter, children ages 9-12 must attend the Main Library's “Gingerbread-Style Graham Cracker House Competition” program on Wednesday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m.
- Program registration is required and opens at 10 a.m. on November 20.
- A separate pre-registration form is not required for the graham cracker division.
- At the program, make a house using graham crackers and other edible materials. All supplies are provided at the program.
- We'll keep the houses at the library, then display them at Holiday Happiness on Dec. 7 for judging.
Divisions and Prizes
|House||Other||Graham Cracker House|
|1st place receives a $50 gift card to Huffman's Market||1st place receives a $50 gift card to Huffman's Market||1st place wins $20 gift card to Orange Leaf Yogurt|
|2nd place receives a $25 gift card to The Goodie Shop||2nd place receives a $25 gift card to The Goodie Shop||2nd place wins $10 gift card to Orange Leaf Yogurt|
|(prizes awarded for each age category [family & adult])||(prizes awarded for each age category [family & adult])||(kids ages 9-12 ONLY; must create house at Dec. 4 program; see above)|
Judging Process and Criteria
Judging will be done on Saturday, December 7 during our annual Holiday Happiness event, with winning entries announced at or around 2 p.m. Our panel of celebrity judges will score entries based on preset criteria. Our judges include Ben Gelber, meteorologist at WCMH-TV; Jeni Britton Bauer, founder of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams; and Upper Arlington Mayor Don Leach.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1-10 on originality/creativity; difficulty; precision; and overall appearance. The entry with the highest combined score will receive 1st prize. The next highest score will receive 2nd prize. There will be winners for each division and age, as well as the graham cracker house contest for kids ages 9-12. A total of 6 prizes will be awarded thanks to the generosity of the Friends of the UAPL.
In the event of a tie score, the gift card winner will be chosen at random from the tied entries, but each winner will be recognized with a blue ribbon for 1st and a red ribbon for 2nd.
Display and Pick Up
All entries will be on display at the UA Main Library during normal operating hours on Dec. 7 & 8. Please pick up your entry from Meeting Room A by 8:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 9.
For more information, contact Communications Specialist Christine Minx at email@example.com or (614) 486-9621 ext. 250.
Registration closes at 11:59pm on December 5th