At the beginning of a new year, many people resolve to make improvements in their lives. A new year symbolizes a fresh start and promises a hopeful outlook. Promising to read more, whether it be for pleasure or education, is a popular resolution for all ages. Simply resolving to read a set number of books in a year, however, can be incredibly daunting. Many prospective readers will feel disheartened when they've only made it through one novel by the end of spring. There are many ways to set reading goals, and it doesn't always have to be, “read 17 books in 2017.” Use this list to find the right reading resolution for you! (Of course, feel free to change the goal number or augment the challenge in any way. These are just ideas!)
- 17 Books in 2017 - Some will find setting a goal number helpful and enjoyably challenging. Simply keep track of your titles.
- 17 Minutes a Day - This resolution is perfect for those on a busy schedule. If you know finals and school projects are coming up, but don't want to get behind on your favorite book series, simply set a mandatory 17 minutes aside every day to devote to reading.
- 17 Different Genres - Challenge yourself in 2017 to try books from 17 different genres. Genres can include your standards like fantasy, sci-fi, and historical fiction (and all of their various branches and iterations) but also consider books from the Juvenile, Adult sections as well as non-fiction like biographies and poetry.
- (1)7 Audiobooks - 17 might be too many for even the most avid listeners, but whether it's 7 or 17, setting a goal of listening to audiobooks can give you a different perspective on books.
- 17 Books-to-Movie - Make a list of 17 books that have been made into movies that you want to see or read. Watch the movies, read the books, or do a little of each!
- 17 New Releases - Check in at our library and on the website for books released in 2017. Keep a list of the books you're most interested in reading and put yourself on the wait-list for them.
- 17 Graphic Novels - Don't knock them until you try them! Graphic novels are packed with adventure, intrigue, romance and fantasy: just like traditional novels, except with expert imagery. They're also a very fast read and can help you feel accomplished by reading so many pages so quickly.