This is the time of year when I start lamenting the fact that I didn't get to go on an extravagant trip to an exotic location, leading me to find books that allow me to escape (even if just for a little bit!). Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies by Alastair Bonnett helped me to do just that. Bonnett visited floating islands, hidden cities, and places not recorded on maps, reminding readers that there are still uncharted territories out there. Even if you don't get to travel outside of your hometown this summer, this book is a great reminder to put down distractions and realize that there is so much more to be seen and learned in our world.
The Ohio Collection has several new titles on history and travel within the state:
- Ohio: A History of the Buckeye State
- The Untried Life the Twenty-Ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War
- Saint Woody the History and Fanaticism of Ohio State football
- Ohio Hill Country a Rewoven Landscape
- Kids Love Ohio
- Finding Utopia Another Journey Into Lost Ohio
Stop in to learn more about Ohio's history, from OSU Football to the War of 1812.
We have a new one-stop source for essential global travel information. And it's mobile-friendly!
Developed by a world-traveling economist and import/export expert, Global Road Warrior goes far beyond the typical geographic info useful for a school report. There’s cultural, security, money and health info for leisure travelers, plus a lot more for business travelers. Interesting features include:
- Glossaries of essential words (with pronunciation), including travel terms
- Food! – a run-down on local cuisine, with recipes!
- Business customs and etiquette - Is lateness OK? Do you shake hands? Is small talk required before business? What are negotiations like?
- Electrical – what is the voltage, with pictures of the plugs
Just select a country from the extensive list on the left navigation bar, and you are off. You can take the “tour” here.