Hoopla is a free audio and video streaming service available to all Upper Arlington Public Library cardholders. Through Hoopla, patrons now have access to thousands of titles in video, music, and audiobook formats for streaming or temporary download. Content can be enjoyed on smartphones, tablets or computers!
- You’ll need your Upper Arlington card and an Internet connected computer or other device.
- Set-up instructions depend on the type of device you use and are detailed below.
- Streaming digital videos, music and audiobooks requires a (fast) Internet connection.
Using a personal computer (Windows or Mac)
- Go to
- Click “Sign Up” (top right) and create an account with your email address and library card number. Create a password. Select “Upper Arlington Public Library” as your library.
Hoopla digital is compatible with personal computers that use Internet Explorer 8
& above, Chrome, Firefox 8
& above, and Safari. First-time users will need to install the Widevine plug-in. You will be prompted to install this free program. Hoopla digital currently does not support Internet Explorer 11. Firefox and Internet Explorer also require the Adobe Flash Player plugin to be installed to play video.
Tip: After installing the plugin, sign out of Hoopla and then sign back in to finalize the install and stream your first movie,
TV show, song or audiobook.
Manual install of the Widevine plugin for Google Chrome Browsers
- Make sure that you are logged out of any Google account in your browser
- Download a copy of the Widevine plugin for your operating system from
- Close your Google Chrome browser
- Run the installer for Widevine
- After the installer has finished, start your Google Chrome browser
- Verify that the plugin was installed successfully and is enabled:
- into the address bar type:
- the entry “Widevine Content Decryption Module” should be present in the list of your plugins if the install succeeded
- You should now be able to stream Hoopla content in your Chrome browser
Using a tablet, smartphone or mobile device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android phone or tablet)
- Go to Apple app or Google play store to download the free hoopla digital app
- Click “Sign Up” and create an account with your email address
& library card number. Create a password. Select “Upper Arlington Public Library.”
- You can use the app to stream or temporarily download videos, audiobooks and music.
& Check Out
- Browse or use the search box to find a feature-length movie, television show, full-length album or audiobook. click “Borrow” when you find a title,
- There are never any waiting lists. Titles are always available to check out!
- After borrowing the item, go to “My Titles” and play or listen to your title.
- Create a list of your favorite titles to check out later.
- Each cardholder can check out up to 10 titles per month.
& Videos: 3 days
- Music albums: 7 days
- Audiobooks: 21 days
Frequently Asked Questions
How many titles can I check out?
You can check out up to 10 titles per month (any mix of movies, music or audiobooks). Counter resets on the 1st of the month.
How do I know how many titles I have left this month to check out?
- On a computer: Click on your email address (top right). Under Account Notes, you’ll see items borrowed this month and number of remaining items.
- Android app: Settings >> Account Notes >> Monthly Usage.
- Apple app: Settings >> Lending History.
Do I have to return my titles? Are there overdue fines?
Don’t worry about overdue fines. At the end of your checkout period, the item is returned automatically and you won’t be able to play it.
Can I use hoopla in the library?
You are won't able to stream hoopla on library computers, but you can stream hoopla on your personal laptop or device in the library.
Can I view titles offline?
With the Apple or Android apps, you can temporarily download titles to view offline. If you watch on a computer, you’ll need an internet connection for the entire performance.
Does Hoopla work on the Kindle Fire,
PS3, Roku or Chromecast?
At this time, Hoopla does not support these devices/platforms. However, Hoopla is working on increasing compatibility with more devices - check back for updates.